Despite what many in the gambling business might sell you on…sports betting…or any from of gambling…is not free, easy, or risk free income/money. By definition, gambling is “taking risky action in the hope of a desired result” (Oxford English Dictionary). When you gamble you are going up against multi-billion dollar companies who have math on their side. The chance of failure, when going against the mathematics inherent to the house edge, in any gambling endeavor, is exponentially greater than the chance of success. Achieving social, financial, or personal success through gambling is not in any way guaranteed…rather it is very difficult to achieve. It is important to know your limit and bet within it.
Be a responsible gambler….
- Ensure you are the legal age to gamble in your jurisdiction.
- Always set limits on your gambling.
- Chasing losses or using gambling as the answer to your financial problems will never end well!
- Never gamble when it interferes with your work or home responsibilities.
- Avoid alcohol or other substances when gambling as it can prevent clear and rational thought.
If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, you are not alone! You can contact a 24 hour confidential and national helpline at 1-800-522-4700 or visit NCPGambling.org for the National Council on Problem Gambling.